Bendigo City FC Inc. (“us”, “we”, “our”, “BCFC”, or “the Club”) is committed to protecting the privacy of the personal information that the Club collects, holds and administers. BCFC adheres to the Australian Privacy Act 1988 and is committed to the Australian Privacy Principles.
The personal information collected by Bendigo City FC
BCFC only collects personal information where it is reasonably necessary and required for us to deliver one or more of our functions or activities, or where the law requires us to collect it.
Examples of personal information we collect includes name, address, email addresses, telephone numbers, parent names and contact details, date of birth, FFA registration, health conditions, allergy information and Working With Children Check details.
Information we collect and maintain includes:
Player, coach and officials register – a list of current and former players, coaches and committee members of the Club. This list is maintained using a Microsoft Access database.
Volunteers registers – these lists are used to record participation on match days and in club events and activities, in particular for purposes of legal indemnity and infection control tracing. These lists are maintained using Microsoft Office software (e.g. Word, Excel).
Email subscriber list – used for distribution of a club newsletter, providing match day information and details of club events and activities. This list is maintained using the MailerLite application.
In addition, BCFC maintains several social media pages or groups, including on Facebook and Instagram.
Sensitive personal information
Health Information – BCFC collects health information about a player, coach or volunteer’s health status where knowledge of such conditions may be reasonably required to manage or respond to the condition during or subsequent to football training, football matches or other activities.
BCFC does not specifically collect other sensitive information including: race, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, political beliefs, genetics or biometrics.
BCFC does not target online or social media advertising using sensitive personal information.
Information about children
Bendigo City FC is an amateur community football club whose primary purpose is to provide opportunities for young people to play football. As such, many of the records held by the Club relate to individuals aged under 18 years.
On registration, parents (or guardians) provide consent for players aged under 18 years to participate in training, matches and other activities of Bendigo City FC.
Use of player images for publicity purposes
Each year, at the time of registration, players and families are asked to consent to the use of player pictures for publicity purposes, e.g. local media or social media. The Club does not use players’ names or images unless the player or a family member has provided consent to do so.
How we use personal information
We collect personal information for the primary purpose of providing opportunities for our players to play football, and to provide relevant information about club activities to Bendigo City FC players, families and other interested people.
• We collect and record player information to meet registration requirements established by Football Australia, Football Victoria and competition organisers.
• We collect and record committee and membership information to maintain compliance as an Incorporated Association according to the requirements of Consumer Affairs Victoria.
• We use our email mailing list to communicate with players, families and other interested people.
• We use social media to communicate with players, families and other interested people.
• We use lists of coaches, committee members and volunteers to communicate within our organisation, to plan and deliver activities, events and other operations, and for purposes of accountability and legal compliance.
Storage and security of your information
We hold personal information in a number of ways, including in electronic databases, email contact lists, and in paper files held in secure drawers and cabinets.
Some personal information is stored in secure commercial cloud-based storage, specifically Google Drive and MailerLite. This information is stored and handled according to the respective privacy and data handling policies of each file-hosting or mailing-list provider.
Sharing and disclosure of personal information
Bendigo City FC will generally only use or disclose the personal information it collects for the particular purpose it was collected. This includes:
BCFC provides player information to Football Victoria and recognised competition organisers as required. Team officials (coaches and managers) use player information on match days and to prepare for matches as part of their duty of care to players and for the purpose of player development.
Health and infection control and tracing requirements
BCFC may provide personal information to public health authorities if necessary, to assist in contact tracing following potential exposure to infectious disease.
BCFC may use or disclose the personal information it holds if this is necessary:
• To comply with a legal obligation.
• To protect and defend the rights or property of Bendigo City FC Inc.
• To prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with a service we provide.
• To protect the personal safety of BCFC volunteers, other participants of BCFC services, or members of the public.
• To protect against legal liability.
BCFC may use information provided by you in order to respond to a complaint you make.
BCFC is committed to maintaining the confidentiality of the information it collects. BCFC will not sell or otherwise disclose its email subscription lists, nor its lists of members, volunteers or committee members.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
You can request to view a copy of the personal information we hold about you by using the contact details below. We will allow you to view your personal information unless there is a sound reason not to, including where:
• Giving access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others; or
• We consider that your request for access is frivolous or vexatious.
If we refuse to give you access to your information, we will advise you of our reasons for not providing access.
If you believe that the information we hold about you is incorrect or out of date, please contact us via email and we will take all reasonable steps to amend the information in line with your request.
BCFC maintains a website at: www.bendigocityfc.com.au.
Information collected when you visit our website may include cookies and usage data, such as your computer’s IP address, browser type, browser version, the pages of our website that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
Cookies, tracking and analytics
To opt out of online tracking you can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies, or to indicate when a cookie is being sent, or use a “private” browsing mode; generally this will not affect your ability to use our website.
Our website is hosted in Australia by Discount Domain Name Services (DDNS) using the WordPress platform.
If you are located outside Australia and choose to provide information to us, please note that we transfer the data, including any personal data you provide, to Australia and process it here.
Security of data
Links to external websites
Where the BCFC website provides a link to information stored on other websites we will take reasonable efforts to identify that a visitor is leaving the BCFC website.
BCFC is not responsible for the content of any external website linked from the BCFC website, nor are we responsible for the protection and privacy of any personal information you provide when visiting those websites.
eMail list management services
BCFC maintains and uses an electronic mailing list for the purpose of sharing club news, match information, information about club events and sponsor details with players, families and other interested people. This communication includes newsletters and other email-based notices and messages. Our mailing list is hosted on the MailerLite platform.
• Subscription to our mailing list is voluntary.
• BCFC will not sell, rent or otherwise give away your email address to another business, organisation or individual.
• The MailerLite platform complies with anti-spam requirements and any subscriber who wishes to unsubscribe from our newsletter may do so by following the link provided at the bottom of each email.
Engagement with BCFC on social media
Social media users should note that:
• By participating in these social media networks, you accept the terms, conditions and privacy policies of the respective social media company or organisation.
• You may be individually identified through your participation in the social media network and by interacting with the BCFC presence on that social media platform.
• Social media platforms use diagnostic analytics to assess the number of visitors, posts, page views, reviews and followers which they use to influence the content you see and future marketing campaigns.
Bendigo City FC Inc.
Attention: Privacy Officer
PO Box 7
Bendigo Central, Victoria 3552
Related legislation and documents
Australian Privacy Act 1988
Draft – for approval by the Bendigo City FC committee
Date: March 2021
Next review date: April 2023
Document status: Public